The Estimated Tax Penalty is at a 16-Year High

April 10, 2024
  • facebook
  • linkedin
  • twitter
  • google plus

The United States has a “pay as you go” tax system in which payments for income tax (and, where applicable, Social Security and Medicare taxes) must be made to the IRS throughout the year as income is earned. This can be done through withholding, by making estimated tax payments, or both.

You suffer an estimated tax penalty if you don’t pay enough to the IRS during the year.

What is the Estimated Tax Penalty?

The IRS levies this non-deductible interest penalty on the amount you underpaid each quarter. The penalty rate equals the short-term interest rate plus three percentage points. Due to the rise in interest rates, the current penalty rate is 8%—the highest it has been in 17 years. And since it’s not deductible, the net cost likely far exceeds 8%.

If you’re an employee and have all the tax you owe withheld by your employer, you don’t have to worry about this penalty.

Estimated Tax Payments for Entrepreneurs

However, you must worry about it if you’re self-employed because no one withholds taxes from your business income. Likewise, you must worry if you receive income from which no, or not enough, tax is withheld. For example, we’re talking about income from retirement distributions, dividends, interest, capital gains, rents, and royalties. C-corporations are also subject to the underpayment of estimated tax penalty.

Fortunately, it’s easy to avoid this penalty!

  • All individual taxpayers have to do is pay (1) 90% of the total tax due for the current year or (2) 100% of the total tax paid the previous year (110% for higher-income taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes of more than $150,000 or $75,000 for married couples filing separately).
  • Corporations must pay 100% of the tax shown on their return for the current or preceding year (but large corporations can’t use the prior year).

Additional Information

Most individuals and corporations make equal quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS. The IRS applies the penalty separately for each payment period. Thus, you can’t reduce the penalty for one period by increasing your estimated tax payments for a later period. This is true even if you’re due a refund when you file your tax return.

Some individuals and corporations can use alternate methods for computing estimated taxes, such as the annualized income method. But the alternate methods can be complicated.

For help with all your tax planning and filing needs as a business owner or self-employed contractor, contact Illumination Wealth.